Getting started by hosting your WordPress website can be difficult – in the online world today, having a functional website is imperative, if you are unsure on what to do and how to do it follow this guide to aid you in getting your site built.
Websites have been around for years now, it is the common place where users search for content and are able to find it easily and able to purchase from the site. You can now create and enable a site in under 10 minutes and be readily able to offer your services, information or news on the fly. Many CMS (Content Management Systems) offer a great amount of Website features for business. Each having its own specific features which makes the job of developing a Website a lot easier.
WordPress is a blog and E-commerce online store. With an endless amount of free or premium plugins that aid you in creating a modern website.
In this tutorial we will show you how to setup a basic secure wordpress blog/site that will be ready to work on in minutes.
Creating the Web hosting package for WordPress
- Choose one of our Web hosting packages.
- The Latest framework – i.e PHP 7 with MariaDB.
- Sufficient disk space to run backups and upload images.
- The latest version of WordPress.
There are two ways to install WordPress into your hosting.
Via the Clickworks cPanel Control Panel ( full tutorial on setting up cpanel)
- Login to your cPanel Website hosting package.
- Scroll down to Application Installation.
- Click on WordPress.
- Follow the instructions.
- Once the auto installer is complete you may click on the e.g domain.co.za/wp-admin link.
Manually installing WordPress
- Create an FTP account (Keep the username and password on hand for later).
- Create a SQL Databases (Keep the username and password on hand for later).
- Login to your FTP account with an FTP application e.g FileZilla or WinSCP.
- Once logged into your hosting space – copy across the downloaded copy of WordPress.
- Now go to your domain name in your web browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox.
- Complete the installation by filing in the information required.
- Name user and database details.
- Once the installation is complete you may login with the details you created by going to e.g domain.co.za/wp-admin link.
Security is a crucial part of hosting a WordPress website. You will need to ensure that hackers cannot access the backend of your website and that unwanted comments are not added which include spam backlinks. There is no 100% block against it, however for a small site this will be a good place to start.
Login to your WordPress site
- Goto Plugins
- Install Wordfence.
- Install and complete the installation.
- Goto Two Factor Authentication.
- Enable 2FA by installing Google Authenticator on your phone.
- Use the Google authenticator on your phone to add a new site.
- Take a photo of the QR code in the 2FA setup.
- Once setup – insert the code in your WordPress page to enable 2FA.
- Complete the wizard to finalise your setup.
- Yoast – SEO Page management
- The Yoast plugin is a complete SEO plugin which calculates your SEO page strength in terms of page layout. Yoast has a large amount of tools to help the website’s SEO strategy.
- Search Yoast in your plugin search bar.
- Yoast sitemap needs to be enabled and configured.
- Try and only display the pages you would like with a robots.txt file in the root of your domain. This can be achieved, with yoast
- Install and activate to complete the wizard.
- To get your site referenced quickly, you need to submit your website to all of the submission pages of Google and Bing/Yahoo. Submit your sitemap from Yoast.
- Make sure to setup your Google Webmaster Tools and Analytics inside of WordPress. This will add the necessary code to your WordPress.
- Now you can activate your theme you would like to work with. You can either use one of the free templates that come with WordPress or you can purchase one online.
- Begin adding in some fresh pages and continue with the theme you have chosen.
- Install Wordfence.
In summary the use of WordPress can definitely offer you a range of great features for your blog, online store or businesses online presence. These tips are based on experience using the application and by no means are the only ways to increase traffic to your site.
A useful tip would be to increase the speed of your website once completed, from Shared Hosting to a Virtual server with a SSD. This means you will receive upto 20x faster speed in accessing your data and you will be the only user on the processes running the backend of your site. This makes crashes or speed constraints less likely.
We hope this has helped you in starting your own WordPress site and getting new clients to see your online presence. If you require assistance in figuring out your way forward with your hosting needs please contact us and we will discuss it further with you.